Six of us this morning. We set off at 10am sharp down stream to the nature reserve for more board walk repairing.
All went well until we entered Stoke lock when the engine started to labour. We passed through the lock and moored outside the cottage to investigate. MB volunteered to ‘go down the weed hatch’ and discovered a black furry thing wrapped around the prop. A short struggle later the culprit was laid out on the bank for inspection.
It turned out to be the remains of a black ‘Parka’ coat complete with fur trimmed hood!
A post mortem revealed nothing of interest in the pockets, so it was bagged up for the bin.
We arrived on site and found G the new GBC chap waiting for us. He supplied some much needed wood and we got to work on the section nearest the lock, having first taped off the access with red and white tape. We also erected barriers.
The work went well and after lunch we were also able to replace a section of side skirting that had come adrift further up the walk.
Our journey back was uneventful and in nice weather too.
Find out about all our volunteer opportunities here.